Upcoming Trips – Let’s Meet-up!

road trip british columbia

One of my goals this month was to map out the dates and budgets for all the trips I want to go on this summer. Aside from a quick one-night getaway to Whistler for my birthday, it looks like most of my trips will be in the 5 to 10-day range. As I finished figuring out most of the dates, I started thinking about some of the comments and emails I’ve received from you guys in the past. A handful of you have invited me to coffee in various cities, which we’ve gone on, but a few people have asked if I would ever host a meet-up… and I actually think that’d be a lot of fun!

I don’t know exactly what it would look like yet, since we’ve never done it before, but I’d essentially just love to be in the same room as a bunch of people who want to have a conversation about money. Most of the coffees I’ve been invited to involved the other person asking me a lot of questions, so maybe it’d just be a Q&A? I know I’d be inspired to see other people share some of their experiences, as the conversation gets going. And if there’s a chalkboard or whiteboard available, maybe we could even turn it into a little workshop. We can see where the conversations take us!

SURVEY: Want to meet-up this summer!?

If we’re going to be in any cities at the same time and you’d like to meet-up, please take this survey and let me know. In the meantime, I’ll start looking for some cool spaces we could potentially do this at. I already have a couple ideas for places in Vancouver and one in Toronto. And if it’s not in a coffee shop, I promise I’ll bring some good treats!

Here’s where I’ll be and when:

Most of July: Vancouver
I should be home all month and would love to host the first meet-up here!

July 30 – August 5: Victoria
Other than for Canada Day long weekend, I didn’t have any plans to go back to Victoria this summer… until I realized I would have serious FOMO (fear of missing out) on spending more time on the island in the warm weather. So, I’m going home again. (And then maybe I’ll start begging more friends to come visit me!)

August 20 – 25: Edmonton
Mom and I are driving Baby Bro out for school, so we can get him setup and explore the city a bit together. These are likely the only days I’ll be taking off work all summer, so I’m really looking forward to the road trip. Plus I can’t wait to see Cassie and Mikhaila and some old classmates from Royal Roads!

Late August – Early September: Toronto
The dates aren’t confirmed yet, but I’ll be heading back to Toronto at some point, for RateHub.ca’s annual summer retreat + my boss’ wedding. I’m guessing I’ll be in the city for 10 days, which will be an amazing way to end the summer. Can you say patios, the cottage and the Toronto Islands?

Looking forward to this!

Flickr: james_wheeler

1. What a great idea! I’m definitely in :)
    I will bring some treats too!!

2. If only you were coming Stateside :( Or if you had been in Toronto the weekend I was! Next time ;)

• Cait Flanders

June 12, 2014 at 9:38 am

I wish I was coming down! I will be in New Orleans and Denver this year, but just for quick visits.

3. I’d love to meet you sometime but you spend your time on the wrong coast! Ha ha. You should come out here this weekend. I’m free!! There could be iceberg hunting and amazing Indian food at the Farmer’s Market. Seriously though, I hope you get to meet up with a lot of great people!

• Cait Flanders

June 12, 2014 at 10:50 am

Thanks, Trista! And I’m sure I’ll make it out there one day. It’s definitely on the bucket list.

4. Man! I wish I lived in a more populated area. I’d love to meet some of my fave PF bloggers, but a lot of you all are Canadian. The ones in the US are mostly on the coasts. I feel a little lonley here in the midwest, lol. :) Good luck with your meet-ups!

5. That wouldve been so awesome to chat with you since I am new with the whole PF blogging thing

Come out to LA/SD next time =)

6. I want to come to your Vancouver meet-up! I’m a huge fan Cait! ;)

7. I used the survey for the meet up in Vancouver, but I am also able to meet up in Victoria since I will be moving there next month. I really should focus my search on an apartment.

Funnily enough I will also be in the TO area in September.

• Cait Flanders

June 13, 2014 at 2:40 pm

That’s exciting, Ashley! Maybe I’ll count you in for Victoria then, when I look at the results.

What will you be doing in TO in September?

8. I’m in for Vancouver in July! Anywhere near a SkyTrain station is great. :)

• Cait Flanders

June 13, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Yay! And yep, I can do that. It’ll be downtown for sure, likely at the Tangerine Cafe.

9. I so wish SF was on the list – although I can’t complain since you came here last year ;). Love that you’re doing this!!

10. Edmonton! This is so cool. I’d totally be up for meeting you…even just for coffee if the meet up thing doesn’t pan out.

11. I vote for a trip to the east coast. I am sure me, Catherine and Jordann could show you around NS no prob! Maybe head to NFLD for Trista :)

• Cait Flanders

June 13, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I’d love that, and I’d have to go to PEI to visit another good friend. One day, for sure.

12. I’m so excited for you to get here! :D

13. This is exciting! I almost never comment but have been reading your blog for almost 2 years now so would love a Vancouver Meet up :)

14. I’m jealous of your summer trips! Even though I travel for work quite a bit, it feels like most of my personal traveling is usually dedicated to required things (holidays, wedding, etc.) I need a true vacation! I just need to suck it up and spend the money :)

• Cait Flanders

June 13, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Haha, well most of my personal trips are for those same reasons… and even Dominican in March was a partial work trip. So I’m with you – craving a real vacation!

15. Cait, I would love to meet you in Vancouver if you do a meet-up here! I could come with GMD since I’ve already met her ;)

• Cait Flanders

June 13, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I’d love to meet you, Jacquie! If you think you’d come, do you mind answering the survey? Just so I can get a good idea for numbers? Thanks :)

• Sorry, Cait! Just saw this now!! I got your email though and am planning to come to Tangerine on July 24! :D

I was laughing with my bf about this actually because if someone had told me a few years ago that I’d be going to a personal finance meetup at a bank I would have laughed at them.

Looking forward to meeting you!

16. Another reason for me to miss living in Canada! If you ever make it to NYC it would be great to do a meet-up with you :)

• Cait Flanders

June 14, 2014 at 5:17 am

I’m hoping to go there within the next year, Kassandra! I was there in December 2012 and can’t wait to go back :)